Roasted eggplant with fresh herbs and honey
A perfect snack on a weekend, after a long breakfast, before a massive dinner or as a starter…
First recipe I tried from the cookbook “Chili” I got from a friend. Very easy to make but providing new flavours for your tongue…
Ingredients (snack for two persons):
- 2 eggplants
- olive oil
- ground salt and pepper
- half a lemon
- five fresh branches of basil, peppermint and parsley
- runny honey
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Cut the eggplants into one cm thick slices and brush them from both sides with a little bit of olive oil and add pepper and salt. Put the slices on baking paper in the oven. After ten minutes flip them over.
2. In the meantime: Finely chop the herbs, grind the lemon skin and squeeze out the juice.
3. Remove the eggplants from the oven and put them on a plate. Add the lemon juice, honey, lemon skin and herbs equally to all slices. Let it sit for 30 min more to let all the flavours soak into the eggplant.
4. Enjoy the dish with some crusty “Simit” (The Turkish version of a sesame donut) and hummus.
I drank a Turkish apple tea with it…