Chocolate-Mint christmas cookies
Ingredients (for 25 nutcrackers):
300g spelt flour (type 630)
100g cocoa (it gives the flavour of the dough, so take a good one;-)
200g cold butter
1 egg yolk
a pinch of salt
some flour for rolling out
200g icing sugar
Some mint oil or crushed mint candy
Step by step dough making
1. Sift flour and cocoa in a bowl. Add butter in little bits, sugar, egg, egg yolk and salt and mix everything with your hands until you have a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave in the fridge for one hour.
2. Preheat the oven (200 Degrees Celsius)
3. Put some flour on your work space and roll out the dough till it is about 0,5 cm thick everywhere. Cut out the shapes and put them on a tray with baking paper. Then put the little fellows in the oven for 8-10 min.
1. Take the icing sugar and add one tea spoon of water. Mix the water in with the sugar so you get a thick white paste. Add a drop of mint oil and/or pinch of crushed mint candy.
2. Use a wooden pick to decorate your cookies with the icing sugar paste and the decorative sugarpearls while they are still warm.